Saturday 4 April 2020

Initial Literature Review nearing completion

My initial literature review is due in on the 10th April and it is now almost complete. 


Around the 13th March I sent Ronald a sample bibliography in order to determine if there were any key sources I have missed. At this point there was still time to add them if necessary; however, I believe I have addressed the central ones - there are always more!

I also sent Genevieve a draft of Thread One to ascertain if I was on the right track. Her feedback was very positive, inspiring me to look at the waves of feminism in more detail. This will actually be really important as fourth wave feminism is key to the context of contemporary Goddess Spirituality today.

I have seperated my review into three threads of enquiry:

Thread One - Goddess Spirituality
1.1 Ethnographies
1.2 History & Politics
1.3 Summary

Thread Two - Interpretations & Engagement with the Ancient World
2.1 Scholarly Responses to Interpretations of Archaeology and Ancient History
2.2 Scholarly Responses to Re-interpreting Mythology
2.3 Scholarly Responsesto Engagement with Heritage Sites
2.4 Summary

Thread Three - Sources of Information
3.1 The Impact of Gimbutas
3.2 Bridging the Gap and Addressing Misinformation
3.3 Sumary

Conclusions
Primary Sources
Secondary Sources
Reviews & Responses

This process has prompted me to question the definitions and scope of my thesis. I have rested on the term 'Goddess Spirituality' rather than the 'neo-Pagan Goddess movement', in order to specific the religious aspect of goddess revival, and to avoid the term 'neo-Pagan' which many in the community do not identify with. It has been more challenging to label the adherents of this path themselves. I have therefore rested on 'Goddess Devotees' for the purpose of this review and have started a definitions document to refine as I progress, which I am sharing on this blog. By sharing this, readers will know what is meant by the terms I use and may also be able to provide further guidance on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog